Posted: 12/1/2022 | December 1st, 2022
Tulum, located in the southern part of Quintana Roo on Mexico’s Yucatán Peninsula, utilised to be a sleepy seaside town that attracted hippie styles who most popular the placid beach locations and its Mayan ruins over Cancún’s wild, cacophonous nightlife.
In the previous ten years or so, though, the hippies have been overtaken by influencers, boho-stylish electronic nomads, and would-be yogis. So, when I relished observing the ruins there, I’m not a major enthusiast of Tulum these days.
But that’s just me. Hundreds of 1000’s of people pay a visit to each individual yr and appreciate their time there. Journey is subjective, after all.
Household to some of the very best-preserved Mayan ruins and picturesque white-sand beach locations, Tulum is definitely a attractive slice of Mexico.
But is Tulum harmless?
That relies upon on who you inquire.
The Abroad Security Advisory Council claims that Tulum is “moderately safe” — even though there was at the very least one kidnapping of a vacationer there earlier this year, and two women had been killed by gang crossfire whilst dining at a restaurant in 2021.
For the condition of Quintana Roo, which involves Tulum, the facts from the US Point out Department states to “exercise greater caution” when touring there (as opposed to six other states in Mexico, in which the report mentioned, “Do not journey to”).
That mentioned, I’ve frequented Tulum a couple of instances now — and have road-tripped all-around the area — and under no circumstances felt unsafe. Guaranteed, you have to have to continue to keep your wits about you and maintain an eye out for petty theft, but that’s what you should do any where you travel.
To aid you understand a lot more about the metropolis and determine if you truly feel snug checking out, listed here is every little thing you need to know to continue to be protected in Tulum.
Is Tulum Harmless for Solo Vacationers?
Frequently, yes. It’s in the neighborhood and countrywide governments’ curiosity to make an energy to keep vacationer-hefty locations like Tulum secure. If tourists get started having robbed (or even worse) in Tulum, people will prevent coming, neighborhood corporations will endure, and, as a final result, there would then probably be additional crime. It’s cyclical.
If you exercise some caution, as you need to do in any new destination, you will probably keep away from any severe problems.
Is Tulum Safe for Solo Female Vacationers?
Tulum is typically risk-free for solo woman tourists. That explained, woman vacationers have additional fears and should exercise even more warning. Really do not wander alone at evening, for instance, though in Tulum. By no means take a drink from somebody unless you saw it staying poured or built. And generally continue to keep an eye on your consume when out at the bar.
Are Taxis in Tulum Safe and sound?
Taxi drivers have a really negative status no make a difference wherever you are in the earth. I’m delighted to report that that reputation does not lengthen to this seaside town. Just be positive to concur on a cost just before you depart.
Taxis are abundant in Tulum so in most conditions you really should not have a difficulty finding a person. If in question, nevertheless, have your hotel or hostel get in touch with one particular for you so you can be certain you get a reputable driver.
Is Leasing a Motor vehicle in Tulum Safe and sound?
There are some rental vehicle ripoffs that travelers must be conscious of — not just in Tulum but any where in Mexico. It is fairly prevalent, for instance, to rent a automobile on the internet and then exhibit up at the office only to be instructed that they do not have any cars and trucks at the minute.
The other problem is with concealed service fees. There are exorbitant expenses for insurance coverage that you are only advised about at the past moment, so be knowledgeable when you e book that you may well get the deal that you assume you are getting.
Aside from these challenges, it is secure to rent a auto in Tulum.
To find the ideal rental motor vehicle offers, use Discover Automobiles.
Is There an Concern with Gangs and Drug Cartels in Tulum?
However, criminal offense has elevated in Tulum, and the greater part of it is drug-relevant gang activity. Due to the fact 2019, drug-relevant gang crimes have enhanced by a whopping 783%. The excellent news is that this is primarily gang-on-gang violence and not aimed at visitors.
The critical right here is this: really do not use or acquire medications whilst in Mexico in typical, and Tulum in unique. You are just inviting risk.
Can You Drink the Tap H2o in Tulum?
The tap drinking water all about Mexico — not just in Tulum — is infamous for not getting as clean up as it could be. That goes for ice cubes as well. Uncover out 1st if the water in dining places is filtered and then talk to if the ice cubes are much too.
Tulum can in some cases be sweltering, and sipping iced drinks might be refreshing, but it would be even worse to be caught in your hotel home with stomach concerns since you drank tap water or an iced consume that was contaminated with faucet drinking water.
Bottled water isn’t the most eco-welcoming issue, but when in Tulum, stick to it, just to be risk-free. You can also carry a LifeStraw bottle, which has a constructed-in filter to be certain that your drinking water is usually clear and safe to consume.
Can I Walk All over at Night time in Tulum?
It is not recommended — specially if you are on your own. Making items more complex, the seashore lodges and the heart of town are not essentially a fast jaunt from each other on foot, so you should really just take a taxi. The superior news is that taxis are plentiful in Tulum.
So, unless it is a super short length, do not walk at night time in Tulum.
10 Safety Suggestions for Tulum
Tulum is one of the a lot more reliably safe spots in Mexico. That mentioned, you really should however workout warning, especially when you go away the seriously touristed parts of town. Below are some points to preserve in head:
1. Stay notify – When walking close to, specifically at night, stay extremely notify and conscious of your surroundings. Do your very best to in good shape in.
2. Preserve your telephone out of the attain of many others – Pickpockets really like to prey on careless holidaymakers, so continue to keep your telephone out of the get to of other folks at all periods. If you wander close to swinging your smartphone all above the position, you may possibly discover that item suddenly missing.
3. Retain your valuables at household – Similarly, if you have a great deal of wonderful jewelry and/or an costly observe, preserve it at dwelling or in the hotel area harmless. You never want to attract the completely wrong form of focus.
4. Be cautious at evening if you’re touring by itself – Tulum isn’t the most perilous position at evening, but in some places, it’s not as effectively lit as it must be. Do not wander all around on your own late at evening if you can prevent it — in particular involving the heart of town and the beachfront lodge zone.
5. Obtain an offline map – If you really don’t have worldwide roaming, down load an offline map to use for navigation. Just be positive not to pull your smartphone out as well considerably, lest it get stolen.
6. Master some Spanish – Uttering a few phrases of the community language is always a superior matter. It can open up doors and help you suit in (and you’re less very likely to be a target). It’s also handy in scenario of an emergency. The crisis quantity in Mexico is 911.
7. Be conscious of your money – Don’t carry every single peso you have in your wallet or pocket. Unfold it around (some in your wallet, some in the lodge risk-free, some in your backpack), so that if somebody steals your wallet or robs you, you will nonetheless have revenue secured somewhere else.
8. Down load the Prey app to your telephone and laptop – If your cellular phone or your laptop computer gets stolen, the Prey application enables you to monitor exactly where it is. You can install the application for absolutely free and then enhance to a compensated edition (it’s just $5 USD) if you have to have to monitor your stolen product. Prey can also activate your phone’s digicam and acquire a image of the thief.
9. Be thorough when working with ATMs – Only use ATMs within a bank. Not only can skimmers be put on out of doors ATMs (to steal your PIN), but robberies are a lot much more frequent at them. To remain protected, only use indoor ATMs.
10. View out for riptides – Whilst the shorelines in Tulum are spectacular, the riptides can be dangerous. In no way stray also much from shore, just to be safe and sound. If you are not a powerful swimmer, stick to the pool.
So, Really should You Go to Tulum?
In terms of security, certainly. As I claimed higher than, there has been a truthful share of drug- and gang-similar criminal offense in Tulum in excess of the very last number of several years, but if you’re not trying to get out medication — and you truly should not be — then very likely you’ll avoid encountering any these troubles.
My Most Crucial Assistance
Obtain vacation insurance policies. We under no circumstances imagine that a thing is likely to go incorrect on trips. But it does occasionally — which I have acquired from expertise. I’ve shed baggage in South Africa, had my equipment split in Italy, and popped an eardrum in Thailand. I was also knifed in Colombia.
Whilst it’s not entertaining to assume about, negative points can materialize whilst you’re traveling.
That is why I under no circumstances leave household without travel insurance. You shouldn’t both — especially if you’re heading to Mexico. For just a few of bucks a day, you are going to get a security web that guarantees that you will not go bankrupt need to a thing terrible and unpredicted occur.
Don’t cheap out on your health and fitness and safety. It is not well worth the threat.
Here’s everything you will need to know about selecting a extensive insurance strategy.
Tulum has swiftly come to be the epicenter of the so-termed Riviera Maya, attracting all sorts of individuals who gravitate listed here for its spectacular white-sand shorelines hugging up alongside blue-eco-friendly waters, as well as the nicely preserved Mayan ruins.
While it’s a usually risk-free location for tourists, you must normally be inform and exercise caution when you’re in Tulum. Do that, and you are going to be in a position to have a enjoyable — and protected — stop by.
E book Your Journey: Logistical Suggestions and Tricks
E-book Your Flight
Discover a low-cost flight by utilizing Skyscanner. It is my most loved research motor mainly because it queries internet websites and airways around the globe so you always know no stone is staying left unturned.
Reserve Your Accommodation
You can ebook your hostel with Hostelworld. If you want to stay somewhere other than a hostel, use Reserving.com as it regularly returns the lowest priced prices for guesthouses and inns.
Really don’t Fail to remember Travel Insurance
Vacation insurance plan will secure you against health issues, injuries, theft, and cancellations. It is thorough safety in circumstance just about anything goes erroneous. I never go on a trip without the need of it as I have had to use it many situations in the earlier. My preferred businesses that supply the most effective support and value are:
Want to travel for free of charge?
Vacation credit score playing cards allow you to make factors that can be redeemed for free flights and accommodation. They are what retain me traveling so a lot for so small. Test out my guide to buying the correct card and my current favorites to get commenced and see the most current ideal specials.
Completely ready to Book Your Excursion?
Look at out my source page for the very best providers to use when you vacation. I list all the ones I use when I journey. They are the very best in class and you cannot go improper applying them on your excursion.