Just because we’re heading into the cold weather season doesn’t mean you need to put away your summer clothes. You also don’t have to just rely on pullovers and coats for the cold weather. There are plenty of different styles to play with. It’s easy to mix and match all your women’s clothing from all the different seasons. If you need some helpful tips to move your wardrobe into the fall and winter seasons, you’ll love our cute outfit tips for transitioning into colder weather.
Source: Victoria Chudinova/Shutterstock.com
- The Capsule Winter Wardrobe — Before you go out and start buying a bunch of clothing and accessories for winter that you don’t actually need or won’t actually wear, consider getting yourself a capsule winter wardrobe. A capsule wardrobe is one that will last for years to come because it won’t adhere just to what’s trendy right now. If you’re looking for cute women’s clothing for winter, here are the must-have items you should have in your winter wardrobe. You’ll need long-sleeve tops, sweaters, jeans, leggings, and winter jackets. Don’t forget about accessories like scarves, hats, socks, and gloves.
- The Best Cold Weather Fabrics — During the winter, you’re going to want to stay away from fabrics that are too breathable. Breathable fabrics are great choices for spring and summer when you need to wick away moisture because you’re sweating. However, when you’re trying to stay warm, you’ll want fabrics that will keep you that way. Stick to cold weather fabrics like fleece, sherpa, cashmere, corduroy, and suede. Any of these fabrics make for great women’s outerwear options as well as for both inner and outer layers.
- Wear Tights with Boots — You can wear skirts during the winter months. The trick is to layer up with tights and boots. That way, you aren’t bare-legged when you’re wearing your favorite skirt. You also won’t have to worry about stepping into mucky snow if you’re wearing flats instead of boots. According to Tan France, the British-American fashion designer, it’s easy to build a chic winter outfit around a skirt. Get skirts in cold weather dark color palettes. Add on a statement belt to make your outfit pop.
- Layer Your Dresses and Tops — Good news: you don’t have to put your dresses away in storage. To wear your favorite spring and summer dresses during the fall and winter months, layer your dresses. Wear a turtleneck or long-sleeved top underneath your dress. You should layer short-sleeve tops as well. You can put on a thick jacket like a bomber jacket. Dress it up with a blazer. By adding on an outer layer, you instantly turn any outfit into a colder-weather-ready outfit.
- The Versatile Vest — Few things are as versatile as the vest. They add a fun layer to any outfit. They act as just-enough extra heat when you’re wearing a turtleneck. If you want to add an additional layer under your thick winter coat, go for a vest.
- Add on Leather or Denim Jackets — Other outerwear you might love wearing include leather jackets. If you’d rather not wear leather, you can try pleather as an alternative. For an effortlessly chic look, try denim jackets.
- Get Cozy in a Cardigan — Go on and get cozy with a cardigan. Cardigans are a great option for when you want to layer with a dress or short-sleeved top. They add a chic yet casual layer that you’ll love wearing pretty much every day during the colder months.
- Master the Art of Layering Sweaters — Did you know you can layer sweaters and turn them into an outfit? It’s an art form, but you can certainly do it. It’s a fun way to add a modern look to any ensemble. Here are a couple of different ways to do it. Try wearing a striped shirt underneath a sweater. Wear a sweater underneath a long overcoat and add over-the-knee boots to complete the look. Want an excuse to wear one of those denim jackets? Wear a button-down shirt underneath a denim jacket, and let the collar of the button-down shirt peek out over the denim jacket.
Source: Svitlana Sokolova/Shutterstock.com
- Wear a Sweater or Jacket Around Your Waist — There are going to be cold weather days where it feels like spring or summer during the morning, and then by the late afternoon you’ll wish you had worn a jacket. To split the difference, wear a sweater or jacket around your waist. It’ll give your outfit an effortlessly chic vibe. This look is perfect for anything from Sunday afternoon tailgates to Friday night parties.
Try game day clothing to get a casual chic look. When we say game day clothing, we don’t mean your dad’s football jersey. We’re talking about cute embroidered sweaters with your favorite team’s name and fun accessories.
Accessorize with Scarves — We can’t forget about our favorite cold weather accessory. We’re all about scarves! Be sure to add a scarf around your neck. Not only will it keep you nice, warm, and cozy, but there are plenty of fun styles of scarves you’ll love wearing. Experiment with different colors and patterns this season to see which styles work best for you.