Harry & Meghan, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s much-hyped Netflix documentary series, is here…and already serving up plenty of piping hot royal tea in its first three episodes. Ahead of the release of volume 2 on Thursday, Dec. 15, below are a few key takeaways from the first three hours.
In the first batch of episodes, Meghan and Harry tell their love story in full detail, share new photos of their kids, and discuss why racism and the British press’ hounding ultimately led them to leave the royal family. Harry began the docuseries by explaining his intent in making it: “This is about duty and service and I feel as though being part of this family, it is my duty to uncover this exploitation and bribery that happens within our media.”
“This isn’t just about our story,” he added. “This has always been so much bigger than us. No one knows the full truth. We know the full truth. The institution knows the full truth, and the media know the full truth ’cause they’ve been in on it. And I think anybody else in my situation would have done exactly the same thing.”
Speaking about why she also wanted to make the documentary, Meghan said, “I’m not gonna say it’s comfortable, but when you feel like people haven’t gotten any sense of who you are for so long, it’s really nice to just be able to have the opportunity to let people have more of a glimpse into what has happened and also who we are.”
Below, the biggest stories from episodes 1-3 of the show. You can watch the series here on Netflix.
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Share How They Met on Instagram, Their First Texts, and Their First Dates
“That was when it just hit me. ‘Okay, this girl, this woman, is amazing, is everything that I’ve been looking for…’”
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry on Dating in Secret and What Really Happened on Their Botswana Trip
“At the beginning, our relationship was this guarded treasure.”
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Discuss the ‘Frenzy’ and Harassment After News of Their Relationship Leaked
“No matter how good I was, no matter what I did, they were still gonna find a way to destroy me.”
- Meghan Markle’s Job as an Actress ‘Clouded’ His Family’s ‘Judgment,’ Says Prince Harry
“Oh, she’s an American actress; this won’t last.”
- Meghan Markle Says Kate Middleton’s Reaction to Her Trying to Hug Her During First Meeting Was ‘Surprising’
“I guess I started to understand very quickly that the formality on the outside, carried through on the inside.”
- ‘Harry & Meghan’ Reveals Exactly How Prince Harry Proposed to Meghan Markle
Meghan’s beagle makes an important appearance.
- ‘Harry & Meghan’ Shares Rare New Photos of Archie and the First Clip of Him Talking With American Accent
“We’ve been really conscious of protecting our kids as best as we can.”
- Prince Harry on Seeing ‘So Much’ of Princess Diana in Meghan Markle, His Memories of His Mom, and Losing Her
“Especially after what happened to my mom. You know, I didn’t want history to repeat itself.”
- What Harry & Meghan Revealed About Meghan’s Experience With Racism in the U.K.
“It was horrible. But I continued to hold the line, like, ‘Say nothing.’”
- Prince Harry Opens Up About Media ‘Exploitation’ in His Childhood and Today
“It’s like, ‘This family is ours to exploit. Their trauma is our story and our narrative to control,’” he says in the Harry & Meghan docuseries.
Senior News and Strategy Editor
Alyssa Bailey is the senior news and strategy editor at ELLE.com, where she oversees coverage of celebrities and royals (particularly Meghan Markle and Kate Middleton). She previously held positions at InStyle and Cosmopolitan. When she’s not working, she loves running around Central Park, making people take #ootd pics of her, and exploring New York City.
Lauren Puckett-Pope is an associate editor at ELLE, where she covers film, television, literature and fashion.
Erica Gonzales is the Senior Culture Editor at ELLE.com, where she oversees coverage on TV, movies, music, books, and more. She was previously an editor at HarpersBAZAAR.com. There is a 75 percent chance she’s listening to Lorde right now.